Video content is now essential to online marketing. Video content allows businesses to engage with their audience and create a more personalized experience for their customers. However, creating and publishing video content can be a daunting task, especially if you are not familiar with the different video platforms available. In this blog post, we will explore the best practices when using different video platforms, including YouTube, Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat, Facebook, and WhatsApp.
In this post:
Each video platform is a bit different and the best practices for posting videos on each platform vary. However, there are some best practices that apply to all platforms. Before we get into the best practices for each platform, let’s take a look at some of the tips for posting videos in general.
- Create a Clear Message: Ensure that your video content has a clear message that is easy to understand. Your video should tell a story or provide information in a way that is engaging and memorable.
- Brief: Keep your videos short and to the point. Though there are some exceptions to this rule, such as some instructional videos, the ideal length for most video content is between 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
- Optimize for Mobile Viewing: Most viewers watch videos on their mobile devices, so it’s essential to optimize your videos for mobile viewing. This means creating videos that are vertical, as opposed to horizontal, and ensuring that your videos are easily shareable.
- Use High-Quality Visuals: Your videos should be visually appealing. This means using appropriate cameras and lighting, as well as using visual effects and animations to make your videos more engaging.
- Use Captions and Subtitles: Captions and subtitles make your videos more accessible to all viewers, including those with hearing impairments. Subtitles are also important for people watching videos in public places, like buses or at gyms, and turning their sound off. Subtitles also make your videos more engaging and increase the chances of your videos being watched to completion.
- Respond: If your audience engages with your videos by adding comments, interact with them to keep the conversation going. This creates a more personal connection with your audience and increases the likelihood of them sharing your content with others.
- Consider Your Strategy: Your video content must make sense with your overall video strategy, including costs, goals and more.
As we take a look at the best practice for using individual video platforms, keep in mind that these are only general guidelines. To optimize your strategy for any particular platform, you’ll need to measure your content and strategy carefully, see what works and what doesn’t, and adjust as needed.
Gather, edit, review and post videos in one place
Try Boast for Free »
YouTube is the world’s largest video-sharing platform, with over 2.6 billion monthly active users. It is an excellent platform for businesses looking to create long-form content and establish a more professional presence. When creating video content for YouTube, keep in mind that viewers generally come to the platform for in-depth content that they’re actively searching for, not passively consuming. So, your videos should be informative, educational, and entertaining.
What Type of Video Works Best on YouTube?
YouTube is best known for its long-form video content, such as tutorials, vlogs, and product reviews. However, there are also many opportunities to create short-form video content on the platform, such as YouTube Shorts, which we’ll discuss in more detail later in the post.
Some popular video types on YouTube include:
- Tutorials: Step-by-step tutorials showing viewers how to do something.
- Product Reviews: In-depth reviews or comparisons of products or services.
- Vlogs: Video blogs that capture the day-to-day life of the creator.
- Interviews: Conversations with industry experts or influencers.
- Live Streaming: Live broadcasts allow creators to interact with their audience in real-time, and broadcast content worldwide to audiences who might not be able to attend special events.
Best Practices for Posting Video on YouTube
YouTube is the second-most popular search engine after Google. To maximize impressions on YouTube, it is important to optimize your videos for search. This means including relevant keywords in your video title, description, and tags. You should also ensure that your video has an engaging thumbnail image and an attention-grabbing title.
Keep in mind these best practices for posting video on YouTube:
- Optimize for Search Engines: Use relevant keywords in your video descriptions and titles to help your videos show up in search engine results.
- Use Custom Thumbnails: Use an interesting thumbnail image to attract viewers and give them a preview of what your video is about.
- Promote Your Videos: Promote your videos on other social media platforms or on your website to reach a wider audience.
YouTube Shorts is a relatively new feature on YouTube that allows users to create and share short-form videos. These videos are similar to those found on other platforms like TikTok and Instagram Reels, and they are specifically designed to be viewed on mobile devices.
What Type of Video Works Best on YouTube Shorts?
The best type of video content for YouTube Shorts is short, fast-moving, and entertaining. These videos should be easy to consume and share, and they should capture the viewer’s attention quickly. Unlike longer YouTube videos, these videos might be consumed passively, and not actively sought-ought.
Some popular video types on YouTube Shorts include:
- Hacks: Short tutorials that show viewers how to do something quickly and easily.
- Moments: Short videos that capture a specific moment or event, such as a visit to a local attraction or a quick recipe demonstration.
- Memes and Challenges: Popular meme formats or challenges that are easy to replicate and share.
- Music and Dance Videos: Short music or dance videos that showcase a specific talent or skill.
- Comedy Sketches: Short comedy sketches or skits that are designed to be funny and engaging.
Best Practices for Posting Video on YouTube Shorts
To maximize impressions on YouTube Shorts, it is important to create videos that are fast-moving and highly shareable. This means creating videos that are optimized for mobile viewing, using high-quality visuals and audio, and using hashtags to make your content more discoverable. It’s also important to keep these short videos moving fast, and not dwell too long on any particular aspect.
Here are some of the best practices for posting video on YouTube Shorts:
- Optimize for Mobile: As with all video content, it is important to optimize your videos for mobile viewing. This means creating videos that are vertical and easy to view on mobile devices.
- Use High-Quality Visuals and Audio: Make sure your videos are clear and easy to follow. Don’t use footage that is blurry, make sure any text is easy to read, use bright, even lighting, and make sure the focal points in the video are large and clear. A few tips can help you make high-quality videos on a budget.
- Make it Fast: YouTube Shorts is specialized for short-format videos, so your video should be between 15 to 60 seconds.
- Use Hashtags: Hashtags help the platform organize video content and help users find the content they’re interested in. These can also help you get more views on your video.
Simplify your video strategy
See how Boast works »
Facebook is a social media platform that allows users to share photos, videos, and other content with their friends and family. It can also be useful for businesses looking to establish a stronger connection with their audience. With almost 3 billion monthly active users globally, it’s the largest social media platform in the world. Over 90% of marketers use Facebook for advertising and over 90% of businesses are on Facebook.
Though Facebook has previously used mostly text-based content, video content is growing fast. Viewers on Facebook enjoy a mix of short and long-form content. However, video content on Facebook should generally be shorter than two minutes, except for livestreams.
What Type of Video Works Best on Facebook?
Facebook is a great platform for sharing video content that is informative, entertaining, or inspiring. Many people use Facebook to interact with groups oriented around a particular hobby, profession, event, or something similar. Others use Facebook to check in on family, friends, or find updates from businesses they frequent.
With this in mind, some popular video types on Facebook include:
- Updates: Sharing news or changes to your business helps your frequent or loyal customers stay up-to-date, so they know what to expect.
- Behind-the-Scenes Content: Behind-the-scenes footage of events, productions, or places can give viewers the sense that they have inside knowledge.
- Inspiring Posts: Videos that inspire or motivate viewers are great for family-friendly sharing that often occurs on Facebook.
- Live Streaming: Creators and audiences can interact in real time using live streams, and businesses, creators, or brands can reach across continents.
Best Practices for Posting Video on Facebook
To maximize impressions on Facebook, it’s helpful to create high-quality videos that are optimized for Facebook’s newsfeed format. Use subtitles to ensure that your videos are accessible to all viewers, and use Facebook’s targeting options to reach a specific audience.
It’s also helpful to remember that people generally use Facebook to connect with friends and family, compared to a platform like YouTube, which is primarily focused on consuming video content by oneself. So, focusing on family-friendly content or content that viewers would like to share with those close to them is helpful. Facebook also has highly sophisticated targeting options that you can utilize to find the audiences within particular locations or demographics.
Here are some of the best practices for posting video on Facebook:
- Optimize for the Newsfeed: Facebook’s newsfeed algorithm prioritizes videos that are well-done and engaging.
- Use Subtitles: Subtitles make your videos accessible and also help viewers engage with videos if they’re not using sound.
- Use Facebook’s Targeting Options: Use Facebook’s targeting options to reach a specific audience based on their interests, behaviors, location, or demographics.
- Advertising: Consider using paid advertising to promote your videos and get more views.
Instagram is a visual platform that is primarily used for sharing photos and short videos. It is an excellent platform for businesses looking to showcase their products or services in a more visual and interactive way. The “Discover” feature on Instagram allows users to scan content from other users they don’t know, including images and videos, organized by a personalized algorithm.
What Type of Video Works Best on Instagram?
Instagram is best known for its visual content, including photos and short-form videos. Users might tag other users or share a post when they stumble across interesting content. Users can also stay up-to-date on their friends’, favorite brands’, or celebrities’ daily activities using the “Stories” features. Some popular video types on Instagram include:
- Demonstrations: Quick demos that showcase the features of a product or show how a process works.
- Moments: Daily highlights, new products, or special moments are great to share using “Stories.”
- Hacks: Shortcuts that can help users save time might be shared quickly with other users.
- Behind-the-Scenes Content: Special footage of events, how a product is made, how your business works, or something similar.
- Inspirational Quotes: Short videos featuring inspiring quotes or motivational messages.
- Reels: Short-form videos that are similar to TikTok, typically featuring music, quick cuts, and entertaining content.
Best Practices for Posting Video on Instagram
To maximize impressions on Instagram, it is important to create attractive videos that are optimized for mobile viewing and discovery. Using natural light or ring lights to make your videos brighter and clearer.
Consider these best practices for posting video on Instagram:
- Optimize for the Newsfeed: Instagram’s newsfeed algorithm prioritizes videos that are carefully-made and interesting to your audience. Make sure your videos meet these criteria to increase your chances of being seen by your audience.
- Use Hashtags: Hashtags make your content easier for interested audiences to stumble across as they’re browsing the “Discover” tab. Use the right hashtags and you can increase the visibility of each post.
- Collaborate: Collaborating with other creators can help increase your reach and grow your following.
- Post Consistently: Consistency is key on Instagram. Make sure to post regularly to keep your followers engaged.
- Advertisements: Paid content can help you expand your reach and build up a bigger audience, especially in competitive spaces.
Gather testimonials, UGC, tutorials, and more
See how Boast works »
Snapchat is a social media platform that allows users to share photos and short videos that disappear after 24 hours. It is a popular platform among younger audiences, with over 750 million monthly active users.
Usually, users know each other, at least casually, before communicating on Snapchat. However, users might also use Snapchat to access special or exclusive content from certain creators, brands, products, or businesses. To create effective content for Snapchat, it is important to keep in mind that viewers come to the platform for content that is short, authentic, and special somehow.
What Type of Video Works Best on Snapchat?
Snapchat is a popular platform for sharing short-form video content with younger audiences. To maximize impressions on Snapchat, it is important to create videos that are authentic, humorous, and relatable. This means using filters, lenses, and other effects to create engaging and entertaining content that resonates with your audience. The content on this platform should also offer some type of special value, like a special coupon or discounts, or content they can’t find elsewhere. Some popular video types on Snapchat include:
- Behind-the-Scenes Content: Special video content of big events, interviews, product development, and more.
- Q&A Sessions: Question-and-answer sessions with followers.
- Personal Stories: Personal stories that give followers a glimpse into the creator’s life.
- Promotions: Special coupons or discounts not found on other platforms or places.
- Contests: Giveaways or other gamified content that users can engage with.
Best Practices for Posting Video on Snapchat
To maximize impressions on Snapchat, it is important to create videos that are fun, engaging, and shareable. This means using filters and stickers to enhance your videos and using Snapchat’s story feature to reach a wider audience.
Here are some of the best practices for posting video on Snapchat:
- Use Filters and Stickers: Use filters and stickers to enhance your videos and make them more fun and engaging.
- Post on Your Story: Use Snapchat’s story feature to reach a wider audience and encourage engagement.
- Collaborate: Collaborating with other creators can help increase your reach and grow your following.
- Showcase: Show how users can engage with you on Snapchat, and what benefits they can take advantage of. You might use stickers, QR codes, or links in or on your website, newsletter, storefront, products, and more.
TikTok is a social media platform that allows users to create short-form videos with music, filters, and other effects. It is a popular platform among younger audiences, with over 1 billion monthly active users. The platform is designed to give users entertaining videos that are particularly interesting to them.
What Type of Video Works Best on TikTok?
TikTok is a popular platform for short-form video content that is fun, entertaining, and shareable. While some video platforms are ideal for searching for solutions, like YouTube, or messaging friends and family, like Facebook or WhatsApp, this platform is commonly used to watch content from strangers or particular creators. The average user watches videos on TikTok as much as 1.5 hours a day, using TikTok for entertainment, in similar ways to television.
Some popular video types on TikTok include:
- Introductions: Short videos presenting introductory information on a particular product, place, or topic.
- Trendy videos: Particular trends, like dances, songs, or contests, can become popular quickly.
- Comedy Skits: Short skits that are funny and entertaining.
- Short Tutorials: Quick tutorials that show viewers how to do something.
To maximize impressions on TikTok, it is important to create videos that are fun, modern, and fast-moving. This means using popular music and audio, using hashtags to increase visibility, and participating in challenges and trends.
These are a few of the best practices for posting video on TikTok:
- Use Popular Music and Audio: Using popular music and audio can help increase the visibility of your videos.
- Use Hashtags: Like many similar platforms, hashtags are useful on TikTok to reach a wider audience.
- Participate in Challenges and Trends: Participating in challenges and trends can help increase engagement and grow your following.
- Post Consistently: Consistency is key on TikTok. Post regularly so you can keep your audience’s attention and interest.
WhatsApp is the most popular messaging app worldwide. It allows users to send text messages, voice messages, photos, and videos to their friends and family. It is an excellent platform for businesses looking to establish a more personal connection with their audience, especially those with a group or family orientation.
What Type of Video Works Best on WhatsApp?
Since WhatsApp is a more private platform, users typically share videos that are personally interesting or meaningful to them. However, similar to Snapchat, they might use WhatsApp to follow brands, creators, or businesses they’re interested in. Some popular video types on WhatsApp include:
- Special Moments: Videos of particular moments at live events, or special places.
- Fun Videos: Short, funny or motivational videos meant to entertain or inspire.
- FAQs: Using the “Quick Replies” feature you can automate answers to frequently asked questions.
- Updates: News items or changes to products, hours of operation, new locations, and more.
- Promotions: Exclusive discounts or first access to new products.
- International Content: WhatsApp is active in 180 countries, making it ideal for making connections with international audiences.
Best Practices for Posting Video on WhatsApp
Videos that perform well on WhatsApp tend to be personal, meaningful, or entertaining. This means creating videos that are easy to share, using subtitles to ensure that your videos are accessible to all viewers, and using WhatsApp’s group features to reach a wider audience.
Here are some of the best practices for posting video on WhatsApp:
- Keep it Short: Since WhatsApp is mostly used for private messaging, it’s important to keep your videos or programmed responses brief.
- Easily Accessible: Digital catalogs or links can make it easy for users to consume content and engage further if they choose.
- Entertaining: Share short, funny videos that users will like to share with friends and family to entertain.
- Advertise: Paid messages on the platform can help bring in new users and expand your reach.
Video content can build up your marketing strategy immensely. By understanding the best practices for different video platforms, you can create engaging and effective video content that resonates with your audience. Remember that these best practices are only guidelines, and you’ll need a bit of trial-and-error to find the video content that works best for your business and your content.
Whether you choose to use YouTube, Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat, Facebook, or WhatsApp, it is important to create videos that are interesting, carefully crafted, and easily shareable. By following these best practices, you can maximize impressions and create a more personalized experience for your customers.
Posted in: Other